Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I can do it!

I have been trying to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week since April 1st. I usually run on the treadmill and then lift weights. I started out only being able to run, with out stopping, a mile before I thought my head was going to explode. I have worked my way up to 2 miles and have sort of stopped there. Well, this morning I decided to push myself and see if I could run 3.1 miles. Guess what?!!! I did it! I actually ran 3.1 miles in 33 minutes and 15 seconds. I feel so good about myself. In the back of my head I have wanted to run a 5k with my sister. We talk about it but that's as far as it goes. I am too afraid of failing or I worry about what people will think if I am walking part of the 5k. I worry too much about what others think. I hate that my face gets sooo red when I run that I am worried people will judge me for that. Anyway, those are some of the reasons I have never really considered signing up for a 5k. Now that I have accomplished it on a treadmill I am going to go and map out a run in my neighborhood and try it there.

9 comments:

Terrie said...

That is so awesome! Are you going to do the ward 5k in June? It is a great non-competitive run.

Crystal said...

Don't worry about what others will think. When you are running a race everyone is so focused on themselves they aren't checking everyone else out. Walking is a-okay in my book. I am pretty competitive myself, but have to remind my self the only person I should try to beat is my self. That is so awesome you were able to run so fast.

Giggles Nichols said...

That is so awsome! I dont think you need to worry about others
trust me its not worth your time or energy. I use to weigh a ton after I had Isaiah and then I started running on the treadmill which lead me to run my first 5k.
my face with my fair skin looks like I've been holding my breath for hours. Its the best feeling once you cross the finish line. And losing a bunch of weight wasnt so bad either.

R-Eight said...

You are a stud!! Running on a treadmill is waaaaay harder for me. You will LOVE the atmosphere of the race. There is no judging, everyone is cheering for everyone else. It is so much fun!! I can't wait to do another one.

You are going to be great!

Deidra said...

Way to go! I walked a whole 5K once. Maybe I should try to run one. :) You are so motivated! I need to get some of that.

LC said...

I think your face gets red because you are sneaking alcohol. KIDDING!

YOU are awesome and I never doubted you. I believe you could run five miles tomorrow if you decided to do it. You are a hard worker and rather determined.

Nicole said...

They are all lying! People are always looking at others faces during races. How embarassing!!!
No, nobody looks at faces or clothes or form or speed. I'm proud of you for getting out and excercising more. I am trying to do the same now that I work inside all day. Natalie always said she wanted to run the St. George marathon with me but that never happened. Maybe a 5K would have been a better goal to start out with. Good luck and enjoy the running. We love and miss you guys.

Nana Donna said...

I am very proud of you....and you put me to shame! I don't care about running any marrathons I just need to walk and get my strength back. You are awsome!

brandt and soupie strong said...

Shannon that is awesome. Poeple really dont care about what you look like running, eveyone is thinking I need to get out and start running. Maybe one year all the big kids can run 5K. Keep up the great work.