Thursday, April 29, 2010

My hobby...if that's what you can call it

The first time I remember really thinking I would like to make decorative cakes was when I was sitting in the Bushman's kitchen in Germany.  Rachel and I...and I think Melanie were there for one reason or another and Lynette was baking a cake.  I was impressed by the techniques she used to smooth out the frosting among other cool things.  It all looked so much fun!  About six years later I made my first cake for Dresden's first birthday.  It was a Teddy Bear much like the Duck cake I made for Logan's first.  From that moment on I decided I wanted my kids to have unique cakes for their birthdays.  I have no idea what I am doing when I make these cakes but I enjoy learning as I go.  I think it would be so much fun to take a cake decorating class.   I'll have to put that on my list of things to do...      

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Who knew that you were so Domestically talented! Your hobby looks like it tastes better than Nicole's hobby. Funny that you did this post today. Nicole worked all night last night, so this morning she asked Savannah to watch the baby from 6-7 a.m. so she could get atleast an hour of sleep. When she woke up, she discovered Creed had grabbed a handful of cake from the garbage and smeered it all over the house. All over the house!

Crystal said...

You are very talented. Awesome cakes. I think people who can decorate cakes are amazing. I am to lazy. I like simple.

Deidra said...

Cute! You should take a class! It would be fun, just how to find the time?

Nana Donna said...

I used to make you kids cakes, but I think you top me.You are a very talented lady. Can't wait to see your blog on Dresden's baptism. The cake you made for that tops them all so far! I love the pictures of the boys in this blog. So cute!

Natalie and Jay said...

You are SO creative! You always put so much effort into your kid's birthdays. I feel a bit guilty about not doing something more special like the personalized cakes for Collin and Sydney. Maybe this year...