Thursday, January 27, 2011

The bump that keeps growing

This was written a few weeks ago but I am now getting around to posting it...

I have never documented my pregnancy's so there is so much that I have forgotten.  Larry will hear me complain about something and he'll say, "I remember you saying that last time."  Really?  I said the same things?  I swear, some of these feelings/discomforts I think I am feeling for the first time.  I guess I really don't remember much.  So, here I am, in an effort to remember what pregnancy is like, I will list a few things that I have noticed.

I don't recall getting Braxton Hicks contractions ALL the time like I have had with this pregnancy.  Everyday, all day long, since around the 20th week I get these contractions.  I get flushed in the face and out of breath with most.  It's more annoying than anything.

I do have a really bad discomfort in my upper abdomen and back.  The doctor thinks it could be my gallbladder but the ultrasound didn't show any signs of stones.  There is another test that can be done but it involves X-ray so it can't be done until after the baby is born.  If the pain is still around after delivery, they will check again.  It could be that the baby is just up in my ribs and pushing on my liver causing the discomfort.  But, whatever the cause, it is killing me!  I never had this pain with the other two boys.  This one definitely is unique and very painful!

With Dresden and Logan I craved meat.  I wanted taco meat with Dresden and steaks with Logan.  This time I crave fruit.  Really, just granny smith apples and pears.  Although, I will never turn away a pineapple.  These fruits seem to taste the best to me.  One day I was making dinner and by the time we were eating I had lost my appetite.  All I wanted was pears so I opened a can of pears and put some in a dish for myself.  As I sat down with my pears Dresden said in a matter of fact tone, "The baby wants what the baby wants."  Sure enough, the baby and I crave fruit.

I am a little crazy when it comes to washing the dishes.  I wash them before I put them in the dishwasher.  I don't recall having such a problem before, it's probably because our sink is much deeper than my old sink, but I can hardly reach the dishes at the bottom of the sink without my belly getting in the way.  It wouldn't be such a problem but it hurts to lean my stomach up against the counter.  So, many times I will go to grab a dish at the bottom of the sink and it will drop out of my hands because I can't reach it well enough to get a good grip on it.  I think I've broken a few bowls and a couple mugs by dropping them.  My growing belly has become a problem but the dishes still get done.

I have only had one really bad leg cramp this pregnancy.  With Dresden I would have them nearly every night.  Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration but I really had them all the time with Dresden.  I have been lucky enough to not get leg cramps this time around...watch, I just jinxed myself. (It is one day before delivery and I still have had only one really bad leg cramp.  It really is a miracle, in my opinion!)

While I was pregnant with Logan I retained water like I was saving up for a drought. I was so puffy and swollen. I remember after delivering Logan, I sat down after taking a shower and noticed that my thighs were thinner. I couldn't believe how swollen I had been and how quickly the water weight was going away. I feel pretty fortunate to not be retaining water like I did last time. I still feel swollen and puffy but it isn't nearly as bad. However, I still have 4 weeks to go. Things can change. (Today is the day before delivery and I am a little swollen, but still nothing like last time.)

In all honesty, this pregnancy really has been an easy one. I don't get sick like most people do. My migraines usually take a 9 month break, although I have had more this pregnancy than I have with the other two combined. My body probably is made to produce lots of little babies but three is good enough for me. It is mentally draining and even though a couple months of discomfort isn't something to complain about, it is more than I like to handle. I am grateful for my two beautiful boys that came to us healthy and strong and I can only hope this third will be just as healthy and strong as his brothers.

One last thing I have to mention. I have been so impressed with how loving the boys have been about their unborn brother. Every time I flinch or make a noise when the baby kicks me Dresden and Logan are quick to make sure I am okay. They lovingly touch my stomach and talk to the baby. Dresden has really acted so much more grown up and is so willing to help me when I ask him. Tonight I thanked him for how helpful he was at the grocery store. He helped push the cart, get the milk, carried bags, all without complaining once. I am so appreciative of his willingness to help me out. I really do have boys that have tender hearts. This, experiencing a pregnancy with my boys, is a wonderful gift that I have adored. I didn't experience anything like this with my last pregnancy and I am so glad that our family has had such a wonderful experience this time.

So, now to completely embarrass myself, I will post a few pictures from the last month. I'll warn you now, there will be a bare naked belly that you may not want to see but for my documentation I wanted a picture of it.

Christmas morning

New Year's Eve

Valentine's Day

No comments: