Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grrr

A few weeks ago I received a letter from America First's security department informing me that my visa card number may have been compromised and if I wanted to have a new card issued that I should give them a call. I figured I would call the next day, which it came and went and I did not call. Pretty soon it was out of my mind and I didn't think much else of it. Larry called me today to let me know that there was a message on our phone asking me to call because there was suspicious activity on my card. Well, I should have cancelled my card a few weeks back because I have close to $600 worth of charges pending. All but one of the charges are coming from Great Britain. Lovely (in a sarcastic voice) I went straight in to a branch and filled out all the paperwork needed to dispute the charges. The securities lady working with me is going to try to get all the paperwork processed before the charges actually post to my account. I would love to not have $600 come out of my checking account. Apparently, what happened is I swiped my visa checking card at some store and a hacker was hacking that store's computer system and was stealing all the information from the card strip...account number, expiration date, security code...and placing that information on new cards. Hopefully, we caught the charges before anymore could go through. I HATE DISHONEST PEOPLE!!!

On a side note...

I usually always park my car in the garage but last night the boys scooters were blocking my spot in the garage and I was having a migraine so I didn't feel like getting out of my car and moving them so I left my car in the driveway overnight. I am crazy about locking my car and I know I did...well I could have sworn I did...but I received a phone call this morning from my lovely neighbor, mom, who asked me if I went to my car last night around 1 - 1:30am. I told her I was dead asleep with a migraine and I wasn't out there. She went on to tell me that she heard a car door close quietly so she got up and peeked out her blinds (she's such a snoop j/k). She said she saw someone with long hair sitting in my car. She figured it was me getting something from my car and didn't think much else about it until this morning when she called me. I know when I went to my car this morning it was locked and I could swear I locked it last night. I can't see anything missing from my car. My registration is still there, the folder with my paid bills was still sitting on the passengers seat (I know, that should have been taken into the house), the curly fries from Logan's dinner were still there along with the lovely odor, the cd's were still there (maybe they don't like Spongebob music or Kids Bop), and the change in my door was still there. I can't see anything missing.

So, the question is..are these both random incidents or do they have something to do with each other?

I guess my advice to you is this, if you get a letter from your bank or credit union letting you know your information MAY be compromised, it probably is so you should change your account information. The other thing is, be aware of your neighborhood! A prowler was lurking around my yard which means he may have been lurking around your yard. Watch out for your neighbors and if you think something is suspicious go ahead and give your neighborhood police a call!!!

6 comments:

Deidra said...

WOW! What a bummer! Hopefully you can get it squared away and not owe any of that money.

Also, that is really weird/creepy about the long haired person. Are you sure your mom wasn't dreaming? Surely they would have stolen something?!

Kristin said...

How awful! I really hope they get it taken care of for you before the money is actually taken out of your account. I have gotten a letter like that before and paid no attention to it, I definitely will if I ever get one again.

Nana Donna said...

So even Deidra doesn't believe me! I swear I saw someone and I know I heard a door close! Call me crazy if you must!

Nicole said...

There very well may have been a Burglar in your car last night. My advise for that issue is this. If you're going to leave your car out at night, or find yourself parking at malls and other large parking facilities on a regular basis, then get rid of the tint on your windows! Then ensure your car is free from anything that may look worth stealing. If Suspects can easily see that all you have to offer them is Sponge Bob and Kids Bop, they won't take the chance of breaking into your car. They also know that without tint, citizens like yourself can see into the car and see them! On the other hand, if your windows are heavily tinted and he can see the outline of what may possibly be a backpack containing a laptop or some other goodies, then he will break in. And as for the bank card and your bank. Shame on your bank. I have received several notices about fraudulant activity on our account. What our bank does is give you thirty days to call back and take care of the issue. If you don't call back, they automatically shut down our old card and send out a new one. And, we get phone calls from our bank any time we go out of town asking us if there are supposed to be transactions at what ever local we are presently at.

Fun for you. All will be resolved, except for the bad guy getting caught. He'll most likely get away. Until he's caught in the act.

P.S. Pray for Swine Flu to go away by June!!!!! Love ya Shan.

R-Eight said...

So sorry! Hope everything works out.

brandt and soupie strong said...

Shannon I cant belive all this happend. I hope thing will work out for you. I hope the swine flu goes away to!!!